Do you want to know what selenium is? Yes! It is an essential mineral vital for the body to function well. Only a small amount of selenium is required for the body, which you can be obtained through foods. The key role of selenium is: thyroid hormone metabolism, DNA synthesis, improves cognitive function, boosts immunity, protects the body from infection, and thereby prevents oxidative damage. Selenium is present in the soil, so the amount of selenium present in the food depends upon the area where the foods are grown. Let’s in this article, try to learn a few health benefits of selenium and the type of foods you need to add in the diet and a few functions of selenium. So, keep reading the post to know more about this amazing mineral.
What are the functions of selenium?
Here, we discuss a few functions of selenium and it includes:
- Protects the liver from cirrhosis
- Prevents muscular dystrophy
- Helps in the production of thyroxine hormone
- Selenium binds with heavy metals in the body, and protects us from the toxic effects
- Selenium has a good anti-ageing properties
What happens to the body when there is selenium deficiency?
When there is no enough selenium in the body, it can cause a selenium deficiency. Well! Deficiency of selenium can cause:
- Loss of hair
- Lack of strength in muscles
- Weakens your immune system
- Brain fog
- Male and female infertility
Also, too much of selenium can be dangerous. So, strictly follow the medical advice and if needed speak to your doctor before taking any supplements. However, some individuals may have absorption issues, hence taking selenium supplements can resolve their concern. But, speak to your healthcare provider before taking any supplements as the dosage may vary depending on your health condition. Are you searching for supplements to boost selenium? Yes! There are supplements available in the homeopathy as well which can help to boost your mineral levels without any side effects. So, speak to the homeopath doctor to find the right dosage and buy homeopathic medicine online from a trusted homeopathic medical store in India.
What are the foods rich in selenium?
The daily recommended dosage of selenium for adults is 55 mcg, teens require 40 mcg whereas for pregnant and lactating women requires 60 mcg. Here are a few selenium-rich foods to include in the everyday diet and those are:
- Brazil nuts
- Tuna fish
- Sunflower seeds
- Brown rice
- Shellfish (Oysters)
- Cottage cheese
- Cashew nuts
- Whole grain cereals
Health benefits of selenium:
- May reduce the risk of cancer: Yes! Selenium reduces oxidative stress and protects the body from free radical damage and cuts down the risk of certain cancers like lung, colon, breast, and prostate cancers.
- Protect the body from cardiovascular diseases: Incorporating selenium-rich foods in our daily diet help to lessen the risk of cardiovascular diseases. Also, selenium helps to reduce the risk of inflammation throughout the body as well.
- Improves thyroid gland function: Thyroid gland holds higher amount of selenium than other body tissues. Low Selenium may invite thyroid disease in some individuals. Also, the intake of selenium-rich foods lowers the risk of subclinical hypothyroidism as well.
- Strengthens the immune system: Selenium-rich foods fight inflammation and strengthens the immune system. Selenium also increases the white blood cells in the body and improves T-cell function as well.
- Supports cognitive function: Since selenium reduces the risk of oxidative damage, the popping up of cognitive conditions like Alzheimer’s disease, Parkinson’s disease and multiple sclerosis are lower. Hence, meet your daily dosage through foods and protect your cognitive health.
Improve your selenium intake with the foods listed above. Some individuals with poor mineral absorption may require a selenium supplement to meet their daily status. Correct your deficiency with selenium supplements after consulting a healthcare provider as too much may be toxic to health. If supplements are prescribed, order them from the best online medicine store at the comfort of your home and get them delivered directly to your doorstep.