Designing a logo for your business can be nerve-wrenching. Designers can tell you how headache-inducing it can be. But it doesn’t have to be. Unlike other brand designs, your logo design is more remembered. Moreover, your logo would often inform the design direction of your other brand materials and website.
So, how do you come up with a logo for your business without having a migraine?
If you have the resources, our candid advice for you will be to hire a designer or contact a professional design agency. They’ll give you the utmost best for your money. However, if you do not yet have the budget, you still deserve to get the best without having a headache. That’s why we’ve put this article together with help our in-house professional designers to give you useful logo design tips and free ideas.
What is a logo?
In the simplest term, a logo is a means of identification.
While a logo design is only a part of your brand identity and not your whole brand, it still represents your brand values and brand personality
Regardless of what type of business you run – a restaurant, e-commerce, a real estate business, an agency, or brick and mortar or what industry you’re in – SaaS, PaaS, tech, or marketing- a logo is an important element of how people remember you. It is the face of your business.
Think about the whackiest logo design you’ve ever seen. Can’t seem to remember? Yes, that’s it.
We can all agree that although logos are meant to make brands easily recognizable, only great logos are memorable. The generic logos are forgettable. But what is that stock that makes great logos rock?
What makes a great logo?
Most logo designs you may think of now are ones with deep meanings. True, great logo designs are intriguing but you don’t have to put on your sage hat to make a great logo. In fact, the best logo designs are the ones that are relatable as soon as you see them.
Characteristics of a good logo
Consider these characteristics when thinking about your logo design elements:
Why do you need a logo design?
The benefits of logos are immense, that’s why brands can’t exist without them.
And here’s why it’s so important to have a logo design:
- Images are more captivating than words: Humans are more intrigued by images than words. So, your business logo design offers you a way to captivate your audience when you have a message to pass.
- Your logo helps you stand out from the competition: How would your audience find you distinguishable in a pool of many others in your industry if it’s not for your logo? It may not even carry your business name, but it represents your branding.
- You can also use your logo to give your customers a sense of being part of a larger community.
- Your logo is how you communicate your unique swag: Imagine how memorable your merchandise will be when it has your business logo. Company t-shirts or pens with your logo design on them are defining factors for your brand’s uniqueness.
- Your logo is the base of all your graphic design: When creating a logo, your not just designing a symbol or icon that serves a single purpose. You’re also building the foundation of your brand identity. Your logo will inform your graphic design colors, typography as well as other representation of your brand.
- A logo-less brand isn’t only easily forgettable, it’s also seen as illegitimate, unprofessional, and shady.
All that considered, let’s show you where you can find logo design inspiration
Where to find logo ideas?
It might be tough to start creating your logo now. We understand. It can be like that for super creative people too. That’s why we’re sharing these ideas with you to help you figure out how to create a logo.
First, here’s a list of . . .
some places to check out stunning logo designs:
- Behance is a great social networking platform to find cool logo ideas. Many graphic designers hang out there to share an unlimited number of free custom logo designs that serve as inspiration for others. Behance is extremely easy to navigate whether you are a designer or not.
- Dribble is another great hub for an unlimited number of free logo design inspiration. Check out what other designers have done to get your creative juice running.
- Logoed Here’s a great place for designers and non-designers to find free branding ideas. It’s a simple, single-page scroll that showcases some of the best logo designs you can draw inspiration from
- Logospire is a logo inspiration gallery with an unlimited number of free custom logo design collections that will spark new ideas for you to create your logo.
- Brand New is an awesome website you can browse through to find free logo design tips and inspiration to create your own logo.
- LogoLounge: This website is another place where designers share custom logo ideas and logo design tips for free to help create a stunning logo for your business.
- Design-related hashtags: You can also browse through social media to find inspiration and tips for your own logo design. You can search through Instagram for logo ideas using specific design-related hashtags: #logo, #logodesigns, #logodesigner, #graphicdesign, #graphicdesigner.
These design resources are a pool of stunning concepts and ideas to help you create an amazing logo design.
Another tip to find more inspiration is to host a logo design contest. This is especially good when you want to revamp your business logo. You may also use it to create the perfect new logo for your business.
Let’s check out some real-life examples that can inspire you to start creating your own logo.
Some design ideas to inspire you
Inspiration starts to flow when you take a close look at the designs below.
These designs make use of different elements and styles that can serve as templates to birth your own idea.
Now that you have an idea of what to create, let’s look at how you can start creating your own logo design.
How to create your own logo design
Whether you’re a designer or not, there are certain things to consider before you start creating your logo.
Your brand identity is the most important thing to consider. This encompasses all the visual and vocal elements of your brand. Asking the following questions can help you figure out your brand identity.
- Why did you start your business?
- What values are important to you as a company?
- What makes you unique?
- How do you want your company/business to show up to customers?
The answers to these questions will help you decide on the concept and all the elements you need to make your logo, including the logo colors, font styles, and shapes.
Once you figure out your identity, you can then decide on the type of logo design that is the best fit for your company.
Types of Logo design
Familiarizing yourself with the different types of logo design can also give you a vision of the kind of logo you want to create.
Word mark, letter mark, or monogram
This style of logo design relies heavily on typography. Word marks use the business or company name as the logo; letter marks also called monograms either abbreviate or use the initials of the company or business name to create a logo.
This style of logo design makes use of a pictorial representation of the business. It is a style that creates instant familiarity in the minds of your customers since it will often include an image that represents your industry. For example, using a stethoscope for a business in the health industry, or a spatula for a restaurant business logo.
This form of logo combines graphics with a letter mark, word mark, or monogram. These are the most common types of logo today.
Abstract logo mark
Abstract logo marks are less recognizable and usually more geometric. They’re great for showing uniqueness. However, we strongly recommend pairing these symbols with your company or business’ name until you’ve built enough recognition to let your symbol stand solo.
A mascot is a fun way to represent your brand. You may use a real-life character or popular animal related to your industry. The idea is to give your company a face that customers can relate to.
This is similar to brand mark styles. only that they may be unrelated to your industry. Yet, this type of style can help you captivate your customers. For example, think about Lactose’s crocodile logo and how memorable it is, yet unrelated to the company.
This may be a crest or banner type of logo. An emblematic logo design is a great way to use shapes to create a stunning logo.
Now, you can decide on which tool to use to design your logo.
Online logo design tools
You may choose any of the following free tools:
- Wix Logo maker
- Adobe Illustrator
- Canva Logo maker
- Logo Design
- DesignEvo free logo maker
- Square Space
All these tools have free templates to ease your logo design process. The only downside is that you risk originality when you use them.
That said, although templates might help in creating a logo, hiring a professional graphic design agency is your best chance at getting a perfect logo. They’ve seen and done a lot and they know what works.
Create a logo today!
We’ve shown you how important a logo is and we’ve provided some custom logo ideas to help you. Now, go create your unforgettable logo today!