If you are a skilled worker dreaming of working and staying in Australia, Skilled Independent Visa Subclass 189 is the best alternative you should go for. With this visa, you can stay in Australia permanently and work in the desired industry. This visa will also give you full working rights. One of the key benefits of this visa is that, unlike another skilled worker visa in Australia, here, you will not need any sponsorship from a relative or a state or territorial government.
Currently, the applications for this visa are only open to those applicants whose occupations are listed on the Priority Migration Skilled Occupation List or PM SOL. You can also apply for this visa if you are employed in your nominated occupation.
Why Skilled Independent Visa?
The Skilled Independent Visa 189 is a point-based visa designed to select a certain set of overseas skilled people required in different states of Australia. It allows skilled workers to move and live in Australia without the need of having a sponsorship of a family member or nomination by the state or territory government
What are the Benefits Of Having A Skilled Independent Visa?
- Live, study or work in Australia for an indefinite period
- Enroll in Medicare
- Get eligible for Australian citizenship
- Sponsor eligible relatives for permanent residency
- Leave and re-enter Australia for five years from the date the visa is granted
Things To Do Before Applying For The Visa
You are required to submit an Expression of Interest (EOI) and score at least 65 points in it, to get an invitation from the immigration department for applying for the visa.
The points in EOI are awarded on different factors including:
- Education Qualification (Diploma / Degree / PHD)
- Level of English
- Work Experience
- Single / Partner Skills
- NAATI Accreditation
- Professional Year
What Are The Basic Eligibility Requirements For Visa 189?
You must meet the following basic eligibility criteria for a successful Skilled Independent Visa 189 application.
- The occupation for which you are nominated should be present on the Priority Migration Skilled Occupation List.
- A points test is conducted for skilled migration. You should cross the pass mark in that test.
- The age range is from 18 to 45 years.
- Passing the Skills Assessment for the nominated occupation is another essential requirement.
- You must have at least a competent knowledge of English. Remember that results of both the English test and Skills Assessment will remain valid for only 3 years. So, you should lodge the application within this period.
- Meeting health and character requirements are a must, like all other visas.
- Expression of Interest or EOI should be submitted in the last step, and after it, you will be invited to apply.
How Can You Apply For PR With A Skilled 189 Visa In Australia?
To complete your Skilled Independent Subclass 189 application, you should take the following steps.
- In the first step, the application should be made for the Skills Assessment.
- Then, you must submit the Expression of Interest. This formal application document is highly essential if you want to want a PR in Australia. The validity of an EOI is only two years, and after the termination of two years, a new application should be made.
- Once you are done with the EOI submission, you should wait for the visa decision.
- When the application gets approved, you will automatically receive the invitation. Then, you can go for the 189 Visa application in Australia.
What Are The Pass Marks In The Points Test?
Currently, you must score at least 65 points in the points test for skilled migration to Australia. But, these limit also varies based on the visa applicants’ volume and their quality. For a few occupations, higher pass marks may also be needed.
In the points test, different point scales are measured against various parameters like Age, Work Experience, English language test, etc. You can take an IELTS test to get the necessary band score.
This visa allows you and your accompanying family members to:
- live and work permanently in Australia
- study in Australia
- enrol in Medicare, Australia’s scheme for health-related care and expenses
- access certain social security payments
- apply for Australian citizenship (subject to residency criteria)
- sponsor family members for permanent residence.
How To Get Additional Points Against Your Partner’s Skill Qualification?
Your partner’s following eligibility requirements should be met for 5 extra points against your partner’s skills.
- Just as your occupation, your partner’s occupation should also be on the PM SOL.
- Your partner should also take the necessary Skills Assessment organized by a state-approved assessment authority.
- And, satisfying the English language and age conditions are equally needed.
From Where Can You Lodge Your Application
You will be glad to know that you can lodge the application from either inside or outside Australia. No restrictions are imposed on this cause.
What Does The Visa Application Cost?
The visa application cost and the eventual PR application also fluctuate according to how many people are included in the application as family members. As there are frequent ups and downs in the cost, you should be very careful.
What Can Be Your Visa Outcome?
Once you lodge your application, one single case officer gets the assignment to look over it. You may be asked to give identity checks at certain stages. They will assess how much clear your submitted information is before they can come to any conclusion.
Your visa application may get rejected by the officer without sending you any prior notice. You will get to know the reasons behind the refusal. So, it’s important to submit all the valid documents to the correct place. Immigration Agent Perth can help you in making a complete application.
What Are The Benefits Of Visa 189?
The greatest benefit is undoubtedly getting a permanent residency in Australia. Once you get this, you can get the following benefits.
- You can live here indefinitely and enjoy full-time working rights.
- You can also take up the desired course of study in a top-ranked Australian university.
- Australia’s state-run health care scheme Medicare will be available for you that will cover all the medical costs.
- You can avail a few social security payments.
- You can eventually become an Australian citizen.
What are the 189 Visa privileges?
The 189 Visa allows the skilled workers to live, work and study in Australia indefinitely as it is a permanent resident visa. With this visa grant you are entitled to travel in and out of Australia for five years and post that you will require the Resident Return Visa (RRV) to move to Australia, enroll in Medicare (a health insurance plan) and avail healthcare services and once you qualify you can bring your eligible family members to Australia and sponsor them for permanent residence.
What Are The Chances Of The Coronavirus Pandemic?
Many applicants now fear the fact that visa application is currently closed because of the COVID-19 pandemic. You may take the relevant Skills Assessment and submit the EOI to start with the application process. But the international borders have not been opened yet. So if you apply offshore of Australia, you will unfortunately not be invited to apply for Visa 189. The Department currently focuses on applicants who reside in Australia and are also employed in a nominated occupation.
A Unique Route For New Zealand Citizens To Become A Permanent Resident
A unique path for New Zealand citizens to become an Australian PR had come into effect since July 1, 2017. If you are a New Zealand citizen, you should hold a Visa Subclass 444, a particular visa category. In addition, you should have lived in Australia for five years consecutively since before February 19, 2016.
Becoming a permanent resident in another country may be very complex. So, for any help, IAP is here for you. Their registered migration agents Perth can be beneficial in any stage of application.