Honey is slowly being recognized as a natural healer with many benefits to humans. From reducing memory disorders to promoting wound healing, the reasons to include honey in your everyday diet are growing daily!
Here are ten reasons why honey may be good for you:
1. Reduces memory disorders: A study in the Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry found that Alzheimer’s patients who were given a mixture of honey and thyme had improved memory and motor skills compared to those who received a placebo. These results suggest that honey could help prevent or suppress cognitive decline in older adults.
2. Promotes wound healing: Honey has been used for centuries as a natural healer. It has been shown to promote healing wounds by increasing the production of collagen and fibroblasts, two types of cells that help skin repair. Honey also helps speed up the process of getting rid of excess fluid, which is essential for effective wound healing.
3. Increases antioxidant activity: Honey is high in antioxidants, which can protect your cells from oxidative damage. Antioxidants are important because they neutralize free radicals, which can damage cells and cause cancer.
4. Helps regulate blood sugar levels: Honey is a natural source of carbohydrates, which can help to regulate blood sugar levels in people with diabetes.
5. Controls cholesterol levels: Honey contains cholesterol-lowering compounds called flavonoids.
What is honey?
Honey is a natural sweetener and one of the oldest foods known to man. It is made from collecting nectar from flowers. Honey has been used for thousands of years for food, drink, medicine, and cosmetics. There are many reasons why honey may be good for you.
Some benefits of honey include that it is high in antioxidants which can help protect cells against damage caused by free radicals, it has anti-inflammatory properties, and it helps reduce cholesterol levels. Additionally, honey helps regulate blood sugar levels and can improve cognitive function in the elderly. In addition to these benefits, anecdotal reports suggest honey may help promote better sleep and ward off infection.
The Benefits of Honey
Honey is one of the oldest substances on earth and has been used medicinally for centuries. Scientists are still working to determine the many benefits of honey, but some of the potential benefits include the following:
1) Honey may help aid in weight loss
According to a study published in the Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, honey had a statistically significant effect on weight loss in overweight or obese adults. The researchers found that after ten weeks of eating 20 grams of honey per day, participants lost an average of 3.4 pounds more than those who didn’t ingest honey.
2) Honey may prevent or treat cancer
One study published in The Oncologist found that feeding honey to cancer patients led to decreased tumor size and improved symptoms such as pain and nausea. Furthermore, another study published in Molecular Nutrition & Food Research suggested that honey can inhibit the growth of cancer cells in vitro.
3) Honey may improve heart health
According to a study published Inthe the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, Honey lowers terrible cholesterol levels and increases good cholesterol levels better than any other form of carbohydrate or fat. Additionally, a study published Inthe the Journal of Cardiology found that oral administration of pure honey, such as apiculture honeyshowdoffactivedeceleratedcoagulationthandotheprogression of tumor growths(including advanced gastric carcinoma).
4) Honey may protect against eye diseases
Like age-related macular degeneration. Honey has been shown to protect against eye diseases like age-related macular degeneration.
5) Honey may help improve cognitive function
A study published in the European Journal of Clinical Nutrition found that honey can improve cognitive function in older adults, particularly those with difficulty remembering information.
When in Doubt, Use Honey
Honey is incredibly versatile and can be used in a variety of ways. Some believe that honey may help prevent disease, while others believe that honey has several health benefits. Here are five reasons why honey may be good for you:
1. It Can Help Prevent Disease: Many believe that honey can help prevent diseases like the flu, colds, and cancer. The antibacterial properties of honey have been studied, and researchers have found that it can kill many types of bacteria, including those that cause disease. In addition, the glucose and fructose in honey support good oral health in humans by helping to fight tooth decay.
2. It Can Boost Immunity: Honey also has antibacterial and antioxidant properties, which can boost your immune system. Immunoglobulins, proteins that protect your body from infection, are especially active when produced in response to allergic reactions and sicknesses. Honey has been found to increase the production of immunoglobulin G by as much as 50%. And lastly, antioxidants help to protect cells from damage caused by free radicals — molecules that can attack DNA and cause cancer.
10 Ways to Use Raw Honey
There are many ways to enjoy raw honey. Here are a few:
1. Eat it plain, with some toast or cereal for breakfast.
2. Add it to smoothies or yogurt as a healthy sweetener.
3. Use it in cooking as a substitute for sugar, particularly in baked goods and coffee beverages.
4. drizzle it over fruit or yogurt for a healthy snack.
5. Enjoy it as an aromatic natural remedy for ailments such as colds and flu symptoms, UTIs, anxiety, and more!
6. add a tablespoon to your bath for a relaxing soak.
7. Apply a thin layer to cuts, burns, and other skin irritations for relief.
8. Add raw honey to a hot water bottle or packaged heating pad to help soothe aches and pains.
9. Use it as a natural hair treatment mixer, adding equal amounts of honey and your favorite conditioner to create a “Mask of Honey” treatment that nourishes and hydrates your hair.
10. Use it in the Makeup removal process! Beeswax is an excellent natural counterpart to soap when removing all kinds of makeup, including eye makeup!