Medical science has changed uncountable lives through its scientific enhancement and technological improvements and has become a boon to millions of people. One such advancement in medical science is gastric sleeve surgery. Weight loss is a tedious and lengthy process and most of the times not a feasible option for people who suffer from obesity-related health issues like diabetes. Bariatric surgery helps those people to get rid of the extra body fat and live a healthy life. Because this surgery is a life-changing event both physically and mentally, it is important to know what to expect after this weight loss surgery.
What is gastric sleeve surgery?
Gastric sleeve surgery is one of the most popular weight-loss surgeries in which a part of your stomach is removed and the remaining stomact is joined with a surgical staple. This forms a sleeve which is much smaller in size than the original stomach. This surgery changes your eating habits in two ways. First, because your stomach will now be much smaller in comparison to your original stomach, you will feel full very quickly, thus making you eat less. Second, because the part of the stomach, which produces appetite boosting hormones, will be removed, it will reduce your hunger. This will help you get rid of the extra body weight, which will continue at least for a year.
Why is it important to prepare for the after-surgery part?
Because this surgery is going to be a life-changing event, it is good to be prepared for the after-effects. It is also important to know the key points of the after surgery to avoid complications. Also, because there will be certain changes in the eating habits and other activities, it is good to know about the after surgery process so that you recover well from the operation and also get ready for a new beginning to your life.
What to expect during in the short term of the recovery
- Because you might have difficulty in running your household chores after the weight loss surgery, for the first few Days, you can ask a friend or relative to help you for the time being. Or you can also look for domestic help.
- It is important to follow the guidelines given by your doctor about the new eating routine and your new diet. You might feel weak or tired because of the less intake of water or calories. However, there is nothing to worry about, as you will start feeling better once you gradually start to add more calories to your diet.
- Try to walk as soon as you can after your surgery, that will help to prevent a certain type of blood clot in your vein. But then, you should not overdo any physical exercise too soon and gradually increase the amount of your exercise. Also, if you have a job that is physically demanding then it’s advisable to restrain from work for at least one week.
- Your body has its own way of adjusting to the new changes. So you can expect some mood changes. But you don’t have to worry, as it is only because of your new eating routine as your body is not getting the usual calories.
What to expect in the long term of the gastric sleeve surgery
- Keep up with your new eating routine and eating habits. There are a few things that you can always keep in mind, eat slowly and in very small quantities. Don’t drink and eat at the same time and chew your food until you get a mashed consistency.
- When your doctor gives you a “Go”, prepare yourself to start with your exercises. This will not only help you to keep off the weight that you lost but will also keep you active and energized.
- Follow the instructions of your doctor and take the vitamin and supplement that he/she has prescribed. Because you will be eating subsequently less food, your body will need that extra dose of the supplement.
- Consult a dietician to give you a proper diet plan. Your dietician will also tell you what kind of food you should restrict yourself from eating, for example, drinking beverages high on sugar, etc.
- Never miss your appointments with your doctor. Tell him about your progress, eating habits, diet plans, exercise routine, mood swings, or anything related to your health. This will help your doctor keep a track of your progress and will make sure that your recovery is on track.
- Apart from all the above, you will have to start to adjust to the new changes in your body. You also need to find our way to keep yourself socially involved and find a substitute for going for lunch or a couple of drinks, because that’s not healthy for you. Instead, you can join hiking or cycling groups and ask your friends to join you.
- Also, the people around you might react differently. Some might try to negatively criticize you. So you need to cope up with all of that in a healthy way and refrain from any sort of psychological stress.
Bariatric surgery like gastric sleeve surgery has many positive outcomes apart from the change in your physical appearance. So, it is important that you adopt yourself with these changes in your life.