Every user knows that garage door cables are one of the most critical parts of the system. They help lift and lower your door and bear a lot of weight. So, it’s no surprise they can sometimes become damaged or broken, demanding garage door cable repairs. When this happens, it’s essential to have them repaired as soon as possible.
But why do garage door cables need to be repaired, and how can you tell if they’re damaged? Let’s take a closer look.
HOW DO GARAGE DOOR CABLES WORK?
Before we can talk about why garage door cables need to be repaired, it’s crucial to understand how they work. These are made of either steel or nylon and are attached to your garage door springs. As the springs wind and unwind, they help to lift and lower your door.
Two types of springs are generally used in garage doors:
- Torsion springs
- And extension springs
Torsion springs are above the closed garage door, while extension springs are on either side of the upper tracks. Cables work with both types of springs to help balance the weight of your door and make it easier to open and close.
WHY DO THE CABLES NEED TO BE REPAIRED?
Garage door cables get damaged or break for multiple reasons. The most familiar cause is wear and tear. Over time, the repetitive strain of lifting and lowering your door can cause the steel cables to fray or snap altogether. Nylon-coated wires are less likely to break, but they can still become worn down over time.
In addition to continuous wear and tear, other causes of deterioration include:
Rust (if your cables are made of steel).
- Extreme weather conditions
- Improper installation or maintenance
If you notice any fraying, kinking, or breaking, it’s essential to have your cables repaired or replaced as soon as possible. Damaged or broken wires can cause serious injury if they’re not fixed immediately.
HOW CAN YOU TELL IF THE DOOR CABLES NEED TO BE REPAIRED?
If you’re not sure whether or not the garage door cables need to be repaired, there are a few things you can look for:
Analyze for the signs of wear and tear, such as fraying or kinking. If you see any damage, call a professional for an inspection immediately.
Check the tension on your springs. If the pressure is off, it could mean that your cables are loose or damaged. Again, call a professional if you’re unsure how to fix the problem yourself.
Visualize an invisible line from the bottom middle of your garage door up to the top center. If that line is tilted to one side, it means that one side of your entry is higher than the other—an indication that your cables are unevenly balanced and need to be fixed by a professional.
As you can see, you will come across numerous explanations for why garage door cables might need to be repaired or replaced over time. If you think your lines might be damaged, call a professional immediately for an inspection—it’s better to be safe than sorry!
HOW OFTEN SHOULD YOU REPLACE YOUR GARAGE DOOR CABLES?
How often you need to replace your garage door cables depends on a few factors.
- First, how often do you use your garage door? If you use it multiple times a day, you’ll need to replace your cables more often than someone who only uses it a few times a week.
- Second, what kind of garage door do you have? Heavier doors put more strain on the cables, so they will need to be replaced more often than lighter doors.
- Finally, what kind of environment does your garage door live in? If it’s exposed to the elements, the ropes will degrade faster and need to be replaced more frequently.
Remember to take these factors into account; most experts recommend that you replace the cables at least once every two years. However, if you notice any damage or wear on your lines before that time, don’t wait to replace them – doing so could result in a severe accident.
Please keep them in good working order because it is vital for your family’s safety and your home’s security. Most experts recommend doing so at least once in two years, but if you notice any damage or wear before that time, don’t hesitate to replace them. Doing so could save you from a serious accident down the road.
THE BENEFITS OF REGULAR GARAGE DOOR CABLE MAINTENANCE
Your garage doors are responsible for supporting your gate as it opens and closes. Over time, these threads can become frayed or even snap completely. That’s why it’s essential to have regular maintenance done on your garage doors- in order to prevent any accidents or damage from occurring.
A look at the benefits of maintaining garage door cables in good condition:
One of the most obvious benefits of regular garage door cable maintenance is that it can help to prevent accidents. If it were to snap while your door is in operation, it could cause the door to come crashing down, leading to serious injuries. Having your cables regularly inspected and replaced if necessary can help avoid these kinds of accidents.
Prolong the life of your garage door:
In addition to preventing accidents, regular garage door cable maintenance can also prolong the life of entry. Frayed or shattered cables put unnecessary stress, leading to premature wear and tear. By having them regularly inspected and replaced if necessary, you can help extend your garage door’s life.
Regularly preserving may help save money in the long run. Replacing snapped cables is much more expensive than having them inspected and replaced if necessary. By taking care of them now, you can avoid paying for costly repairs down the road.
Once you know the advantages, focus on learning the steps that will help you acquire the necessary results.
5 TIPS FOR A SUCCESSFUL REPAIR
A broken cable is one of the most common issues homeowners face. When the door isn’t working, it can be a real pain. Most people use their garage doors multiple times a day, so it can throw a wrench in your daily routine when it breaks. If you are in this situation, there is no need to despair! With a bit of time and effort, you can fix the problem with garage door cable repair services.
- You first need to take a close look at the door and determine where the cable has snapped. In most cases, the thread will snap near the bottom of the door where it meets the pulley system. Once you’ve located the point of failure, use a tape measure to determine how much cable you need to replace.
- Next, you’ll need to remove the old cable from the door. You can unscrew the panels on either side of the door and remove the springs and pulleys. Once you have access to the old line, cut it away and remove it from the door.
- Now, it’s time to install the new cable. To do this, you’ll need to thread the new cord through all the pulleys until you reach the other side of the door. Ensure the rope is nice and tight before screwing everything back into place.
- Once everything is back in its rightful place, give the door a test run to ensure everything is working correctly. You just saved yourself a call to a professional (and some money too).
- If you find that your door is still not functioning correctly after following these steps, there may be another issue at play. In this case, it’s best to call in a professional who can diagnose and solve the problem quickly and efficiently.
An inoperable garage door is frustrating, but with a bit of time and effort, it’s something that you can fix yourself.
ADS Garage Doors LLC is one of the most reliable and successful professionals offering mind blowing services to its clients. Please feel free to visit the website and book an appointment without hesitation. Click on https://www.adsgaragedoors.org/ right now.