How To Fix Your Body Posture With Yoga – Owing to sedentary lifestyle and poor habits, a weak body posture has become a painful reality in the lives of millions of people around the world. This gives birth to the problem of Kyphosis where you develop a rounded upper spine. You also suffer from Lordosis where your back becomes extremely arched.
However, it does not mean there is no respite from this problem. You can enroll in Yoga Alliance Certification to get rid of the abnormal curves in your spine. Your body posture impacts other system in the body. Daily yoga practice optimizes spinal alignment and improves your overall well-being.
Firstly, let us understand what bad posture does to your overall health.
The Side-Effects Of Poor Body Posture
Poor body posture causes discomfort in your back, neck, and shoulders. It also interferes with the smooth circulation of blood and other bodily fluids. This also affects lung functioning, and reduce the rate of metabolism in your body.
If not treated on time, a bad posture can give birth to mental health issues like depression, an increase in negative thoughts, decreased energy, and low self-esteem.
However, that is not all as there are some tell-tale signs of this health issue.
Signs Of A Poor Body Posture
The signs of a poor body posture are mentioned below:
- Rounded/Slumped shoulders
- Flat feet
- Back pain and body ache
- Forward head position
- Tilted shoulders/ Pelvis
- Bent knees when standing/walking
- Low energy and muscle fatigue
- Pain in neck and shoulders
However, you should not lose hope as yoga can help you get rid of this health issue.
Can I Fix Poor Body Posture?
In the majority of cases, you develop a poor body posture due to bad habits. However, if the body posture is poor due to medical issues like Scoliosis or Osteoarthritis it takes longer for the changes to be evident.
One way you can initiate the change in your body posture is with daily yoga to promote body awareness. You should understand that body awareness is vital to improving your body posture. The simple habit of sitting and standing correctly might be a bit uncomfortable during the initial days but does provide you with some impressive health benefits.
Fortunately, once the muscles become used to supporting you while sitting or standing with the right posture things would be easy from there. You can include Vinyasa yoga poses that offer you a way to develop good body posture and lose extra weight.
With that said, given below is how yoga helps fix a poor body posture.
1. Yoga For Kyphosis
Kyphosis is a result of sitting on your desk for long hours. It is often noticeable in the form of a jutting forward chin and head. You should inculcate some upper back bending yoga poses that help reverse this condition. These yoga poses give the muscles in the front of your torso a good stretch to help loosen them up.
2. Yoga For Lordosis
The condition of Lordosis is a result of weaker abdominal muscles or overcompensation for other musculoskeletal imbalances. You should enroll in a Yoga Alliance Certification course to learn how to tuck your tailbone under and flatten your lower back by using the abdominal muscles. For example, you can practice the Cat Pose that includes rounding of the back.
However, that is not all. Numerous yoga poses promote good body posture. Let us find out which yoga poses do this.
Yoga Poses For A Good Body Posture
The sacred art of yoga has numerous asanas that promote good body posture and the right body alignment to treat Kyphosis and Lordosis. An effective yoga asana that helps improve your body posture is Tadasana, also known as the Mountain Pose.
Above all, you have to develop a schedule for including yoga in your daily routine. Specific yoga poses create body awareness, improve your flexibility, and develop solid strength. These include;
1. Supported Fish Pose
A popular Yin yoga asana that you can do after a long drive or before going to bed. Given below is how you can practice this yoga asana.
Steps To Practice Supported Fish Pose (Matsyasana)
- If you are a beginner to yoga, then you would need two yoga blocks to practice this yoga asana.
- Set both the yoga blocks on an equal height to form a T.
- The longer part of this formation has to rest between your shoulder blades. The top block would which forms the top of T would support your head.
- Lay down on the blocks. Make sure there is some opening for your chest without any discomfort.
- Relax your body and pull your shoulders away from your ears. Rest your palms by your sides.
- Hold this pose for 3 to 5 minutes. Relax.
2. Cow Face Pose
Also known as Gomukhasana, you can do this yoga pose even while sitting on your office chair. It gives your entire body a good stretch.
Steps To Practice Gomukhasana (Cow Face Pose)
- Lift your right arm towards the sky. Bend your elbow and reach your fingers down your back.
- Wrap your left arm behind your back. Make sure your left fingers reach up towards the right finger.
- Bring your hands closer to each other. Let your right hand fingers grab the left one.
- For added comfort, you can also bring a yoga strap and hold it between your hands.
- Bring your elbows back and lift your chest.
- Hold this pose for 5 deep breaths and change sides.
3. Bow Pose
The Bow Pose, also known as Dhanurasana is an intense heart opener yoga pose. It provides your back and chest a good stretch.
Steps To Practice Bow Pose (Dhanurasana)
- Lie down on your belly on the yoga mat. Bring your palms down by the side of your forehead or chin.
- Bend your knees. Draw your feet towards the seat.
- Reach around and grab your ankles. Do not widen your knees than hip-width distance.
- Inhale. Kick your ankles to your hands.
- Roll your shoulders away from the ears, lift your chest, and thighs off the mat.
- Take some deep breaths.
- Gently release this pose and and come back to the starting position.
You should follow an important rule when trying to fix a poor body posture with Tadasana. This is the rule of proper body alignment.
Checking The Body Alignment
When doing Tadasana, stand with your back touching a wall and with your heels touching. You can adjust your shoulders, hips, and back of the head so they lightly touch the wall. Do not press any part of your body into the wall.
You can ask a yoga expert to watch you and check to make sure your ankles, hips, shoulders, and heads are all in a straight line.
How Much Time Does It Take To Fix The Posture?
As per medical and scientific research, it takes a minimum of three to eight weeks to establish a proper yoga routine. You have to do yoga for at least 30 days to feel a change in your body posture. Although, yoga experts recommend that you keep up with the practice for as long as you can.
A poor body posture affects your overall personality and well-being. Enroll in a Yoga Alliance certification to know the secret to a good body posture.