Allergy is the most regular illness type that can affect a person at any stages throughout the life. A number of things starting from medication to food to pollen are there causing allergic reactions.
There is nothing to worry about as multiple methods are there too for dealing with the severity of the allergic reactions. This blog states some most popular and accepted methods of treating allergic reactions. Read on to know them.
What is Actually an Allergic Reaction?
Allergic reactions happen when the cells within immune system get interpreted with the harmful allergen or foreign intruders. It results in the overreaction of immune system to secrete histamine that causes its symptoms like coughing, sneezing and inflammation.
Mild allergic reactions are treatable with OTC (over-the-counter) medication and home remedies. On the other hand, chronic allergies require treatment from a medical professional or an allergy expert. Severe allergy needs immediate medical attention as well to deal with its severity with par excellence.
Ways to Treat Allergic Reactions
Numerous moderate to mild allergic reactions can be treated properly at home with the help of OTC medications. If you are susceptible to any allergic reaction, private allergy tests will be done to offer important advice to treat it. The below-mentioned treatment options are widely preferred for treating allergy and obtain relief from its symptoms:
Antihistamines are really helpful for treating minor allergies despite its cause. It minimises the production of histamine in the body that alleviates the symptoms naturally such as skin reactions, watery eyes and sneezing. In contrary to first-generation antihistamines, like Benadryl second-generation antihistamines, like Zyrtec (cetirizine) and Claritin (loratadine) can result in drowsiness. As it comes in multiple forms, usually people take the most availed source they can find like
- Eye drops
- Nasal sprays
- Dissolvable tablets
- Oral pills
Antihistamines are available both at pharmacies and online and hence you can purchase according to your convenience. It is reliable as the prevention of allergies as well. So, many people start taking antihistamines if they come to know that soon they are about to expose with an allergen. Doctor consultation is required for the people with liver disorder or pregnant women to take antihistamines.
Nasal decongestants are found in several forms like sprays, liquid and pills for reducing swollen and stuffy sinuses like symptoms like coughing and sore throat. But it is advisable not to take consecutively for above 72 hours. Online and over-the-counter (OTC) nasal decongestants are also widely available.
NSAIDs (Non-Steroidal Anti-Inflammatory Medications) can provide temporary relief against cramping, swelling and pain resulted by allergic reactions.
Avoid the allergens
One of the ideal ways to prevented and treat allergies is to identify the causes that trigger the reaction. One should stay far away from such allergens. However, if it is not possible then, you are advised to take decongestants or antihistamines to reduce the severity of the reactions.
Use saline sinus rinse
If allergic reaction results in sinus problem, it is always recommendable to rinse the sinuses well off with saline. It cleans the air passage by removing allergens completely. Either you can prepare the solution at your home or can purchase rinsing devices from any pharmacy or online.
Treat environmental allergies
The airborne allergies such as mould spores, dust and pollen can be treated perfectly with the following treatment options:
- Few minutes of exercise for getting relief from nasal congestion
- On being exposed to any potential allergen take a bath and wash all clothes
- Taking throat lozenges that have soothing ingredients like ginger, honey or menthol
Treat Skin Allergies
The allergic reactions that result in the skin symptoms along with the allergens found in metals, chemicals, drugs, poisonous plants and animal saliva can be treated too. Its treatment options are given as:
- Topical corticosteroid tablets or creams: These are loaded with steroids that help in reducing itching and inflammation. Its mild forms are widely available online but doctor always goes for the version with higher dose.
- Moisturising creams: Calamine is the prime soothing ingredient used in preparing emollient creams for treating skin reactions.
- Sting or bite medication: The medications which are mainly administered for reducing the allergic reactions resulted from insect stings or bites possess similar effect for other allergies as well.
- Ice pack: Application of ice pack by wrapping it in a piece of cloth to the infected skin area is effective to reduce inflammation.
Treat Severe Allergies
If you have chronic or severe allergies, it is always advisable to consult with the professional to obtain the right treatment. Allergy specialist will always prescribe the OTC medication with strong doses compound to eliminate its effectiveness as early as possible.
Varied treatment options for severe or chronic allergies are mentioned as:
- Drug desensitisation therapy an ideal solution for some particular allergens.
- Oral cromolyn is effective to combat with food allergies.
- Certain prescription medications for asthma is also given such as inhaled corticosteroids and bronchodilators
- Allergy shots or immunotherapy is proved to be effective in lowering down the allergic reactions for insect stings and certain other allergens.
Home Remedies for allergies
Traditional medicine system makes use of herbal extracts and supplements for preventing and treating allergic reactions specifically seasonal allergies. Although it has a limited number of scientific evidences to prove it as the best alternative yet people obtain relief from irritating symptoms by using these. Some most efficient home remedies for allergic reactions are mentioned below for your reference:
- Dietary changes: Change your diet chart with low-fat and high complex carbohydrates like vegetables, whole grains and beans for alleviating the severity of allergic reactions.
- Bioflavonoids: Several blackcurrants and citrus fruits are rich in plant-based chemicals. These act excellently as natural antihistamines and can be also taken as natural supplements.
- Supplements: Allergic symptoms can be healed greatly by zinc, flaxseed oil and Vitamins E, C and A.
- Acupuncture: One can get relief from allergic symptoms with the help of acupuncture treatments.
A number of people suffer a lot from allergic reaction if they get exposed to any particular allergens be it pollen, pet dander or compounds in personal hygiene goods, drinks and foods. The most effective choice of treating allergic reaction depends on its exact cause. However, most of the minor allergies are treated by anti-itching products and OTC antihistamines.
But if you experience severe or chronic allergic reaction, immediate medical attention is required! It is so; because this high severity can interfere with the normal heart rate and swelling in the throat.
Even, Anaphylaxis is also recognised as severe allergic reaction that needs to be treated on an urgent basis. Therefore, you are advised to visit walk in clinic in London to obtain the right allergic treatment on time.